Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Begin at the Beginning

Today I thought I'd backtrack a bit and share my first quilt. This quilt was years in the making. It began when I was in middle school--maybe 13 or 14? I frequently went with my grandma to stay with my aunt in the Upper Peninsula (U.P. for non-Mitten folks) and we would shop and antique and eat delicious sweets. It was on one of these trips that I started taking notice of all the amazing quilts my aunt had made all over the house. She was an amazing quilter and she offered to teach me.

I vaguely remember choosing fabric (her stash was beyond belief) and having her teach me to sew on the sewing machine. I pieced rows together and cut them into a simple patchwork. I left with it being mostly finished and never saw the quilt again.

Until two years ago when, when I was home for Christmas, I opened a box and there it was! Finished, quilted, and just as I remembered! I was so excited to see it again. My aunt had finished it for me and sent it to me as a great surprise.


 Look at the quilting! I've never had anything long-arm quilted before, but my aunt had this one sent out. It's so beautiful to look at the details.



I have since started using it on our bed. I always thought quilts were too delicate or precious to be used, so it sat in a box for a few years until I figured, if I spent the time making it, why not display it? It's definitely getting good use....



No comments:

Post a Comment